Saturday, April 04, 2009

Singapore Part 4

As you saw in part 3 there are 7-11's in Singapore. And I must say they have the best Icees I have ever had. They were always ready, not like in California where its hit or miss that its not just liquid syrup. The only difference here is they only have two sizes. Large and Jumbo. The picture below is of the jumbo, or in California, the 2nd smallest icee they sell.

We had dinner on the 70th floor of the worlds third largest building (total of 74 floors I think). This is Zoe as flying baby riding the elevator down. She got a little fussy because all of our ears popped on the way up and down.
And this was our view for dinner.
In Singapore they have a night safari at the zoo. The zoo is open from 8am till 6pm, then closes down to reopen at 7 for the night zoo. The zoo here is an open zoo, most of the animals are not in cages (just the ones that could really kill you, although the lions and tigers were not in cages.) Instead they build moats between you and the animals. I had heard of a Chinese tourist mauled to death a few years back but they must have built a bigger moat. We took a tram ride (even though it was after dark it was still about 100 degrees out, too hot to walk), and that took us through most of the zoo. Some of the animals came up so close to the tram you could touch them, but we were told not to. Not too many pictures because it was so dark and flashes would have meant instant death.


This was the average alley way, a look at all the air conditioners running 24 hours a day. Christine counted and said there were 27, thats just what is in the picture, this building was much longer than what would fit in the picture.
This is from the Tiger Tower, a rotating observation deck that goes up about 100 stories. (Or as they spell it, Storys). This was on Sentosa island, a smaller island that housed a resort, the bug and butterfly museum, underwater world and future home of Universal Studios Singapore.
This is the boat tour we took. Its an old World War II amphibious vehicle that has wheels on land but becomes a boat.
It was so hot there and Zoe kept sweating in her velour car seat/stroller so we bought this fan from Toys R Us Singapore (which was very cool, many more lead based Chinese toys than we have in the states). It clips on to her stroller and has an goose neck so you can aim it. It also has blinking lights on the blade that make shapes when its on. I call it the baby siezure inducing keep cool device.
This explains why when I asked about carseat laws in Singapore I was laughed at. This is actually more tame than most, most of the flatbeds I saw had plastic lawnchairs with people sitting in them. On the back of most of these truck were stickers with their max speed and people capacity. Surprisingly most said 20 people! This one said 13.
This Merlion is also on Sentosa island. It is considered the dad Merlion, the big one that shoots water is the mother merlion, and the smaller one behind it is the baby.

And finally, to end our trip Zoe filled out her first immigration form. Occupation: Baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great trip as well as a great job blogging about it. You guys did soooooo much more than Jesse and I did when we were there in '07. I think we just wore ourselves out in Hong Kong and Singapore didn't get the full attention it deserved.
I'm glad you guys had fun! Love the fan.