Monday, August 04, 2008

Every Little Thing

Just because the baby is on the way doesn't mean you don't get all my wonderful bug shots and other randomness.

Here is just one example of the many things these spare tire covers say. They get more and more bizarre as well, talking about light and rainbows and breathing in sports...I got a new macro lens (its for the baby, really it is) so here are a few new shots using it.
This is a locust, or cicada. When we got back from our trip to the states, I got in my car and started to drive to work. About two minutes into the drive, I rolled down the window because I thought one of my belts was bad. It kept getting louder and louder, even when my car was idled. Come to find out its tens of thousands of these things screeching like mad. Apparently they are only here for a few months, which is nice, but its gotten to the point now that you just tune them out.
I keep speeding home trying to find bugs in our front yard before the sun goes down. The other day, Christine called because she found a blue dragon fly and wanted me to get home and photograph it. I wasn't any where near being home though. Then it struck Christine that she could use my camera and try to get the shot herself. She did a pretty good job too.
The rest of these bugs (and the locust above) were taken at a park about ten minutes from our house.
A new expressway (maybe?) is being built above us (well above the valley we live in anyway). We snuck up there and took a few pictures of our valley, kind of gives you a reference point for how far we are from the ocean.And the crazy dangerous thing I did this past sunday. Swimming with whale sharks. A group from the office got together and went on this dive. You get about a ten minute brief (the highlights of which are, don't touch the eyes, don't put things in their mouth etc) and then you are placed on a boat, taken out about one mile and dumped into the ocean. Out in the ocean is a huge net suspended in the water that houses these two huge whale sharks. They about 30 feet in length each. We had about 45 minutes in the net with them. They are actually pretty docile, and of course only eat plankton and other non human things. It bumped into me a few times but I quickly freaked out and swam away.
No, no one is being eaten, its just my awesome photographic timing.This is what I looked like for most of the dive, ready to throw that camera at the shark and swim away, because you know throwing things underwater works really really well.



No comments: